Fremont Sedation Dentist Helps Patients Feel Relaxed
If you suffer from dental anxiety or phobia, you’re not alone. Millions of patients in the United States report postponing dental visits due to fear, and many more experience anxiety during their appointment. At James Block Dentistry in Fremont, we want every patient to receive the quality dental care they need free from stress or fear. That’s why we provide a variety of sedation dentistry methods so you can relax and get the dental treatment you need to have a rockin’ smile.
Nitrous Oxide Sedation
Nitrous oxide sedation, commonly referred to as “laughing gas,” has been used by dentists and other physicians for more than a hundred years. This form of mild sedation allows patients to relax while breathing in a combination of nitrogen and oxygen through their nose. Based on patient response and vitals, dosage can be adjusted throughout the procedures for optimal comfort. Patients prefer nitrous oxide sedation because:
- There’s no “hang over.” The effects diminish quickly and patients are able to return to their regular routine about 15 minutes after the procedure including driving to and from the office.
- It helps reduce sensation for patients who have difficulty becoming numb using only local anesthesia.
- The patient remains fully conscious able to speak with the dentist and team, but experiences significantly less anxiety.
Oral Conscious Sedation
Oral conscious sedation is a great choice for patients who have severe dental anxiety because the prescribed medication is taken before leaving home. By the time a patient arrives at the dental office, escorted by a friend or family member, he will already feel relaxed. During the procedure, patients typically remain awake, but describe the experience as being “dreamlike.” The effects of oral conscious sedation can take several hours to dissipate. Patients will need to be driven to and from the appointment, and shouldn’t plan to resume activities until the following day. Patients prefer oral conscious sedation because:
- The sedation takes effect before they leave home.
- The sedative is stronger than nitrous sedation causing the patient to enter a semi-conscious state.
- Oral sedatives have an amnesiac effect which means most patients report not remembering their procedure.
- Patients who need multiple or complex dental procedures can save time and money by scheduling these treatments on the same day.
Because patients respond to oral sedatives differently, combining this sedation method with nitrous oxide helps to ensure the patient achieves the optimal level of relaxation during any procedure. Patients take their oral sedative at a predetermined time before their appointment, and once they arrive, the dentist administers nitrous oxide to provide additional relaxation.
For patients with severe dental anxiety, those who need extensive oral surgery, and those undergoing intensive restorative or cosmetic procedures, intravenous (IV) sedation provides a heightened level of sedation compared to traditional oral sedatives, and adjustable dosage for maximum relief. Patients who receive IV sedation are typically still conscious during their procedure, but they tend to doze frequently and may fall asleep for several hours after the procedure. Due to the increased levels of sedation, patients will need to be driven to and from their appointment. Patients prefer IV sedation because:
- They are able to undergo extensive oral surgery with less pain, and faster healing time.
- The dosage can be adjusted so patients achieve the optimal level of sedation.
- Vitals are monitored by a dentist and an anesthesiologist throughout the procedure for your comfort and safety.
Call to Find out More
At James Block Dentistry we love helping our patients achieve rockin’ smiles, even those patients who don’t always love to see us. Don’t let dental anxiety keep you from getting the care you need. Call Dr. Block and his team to schedule a sedation dentistry consultation in Fremont today. Our practice welcomes patients from surrounding areas including Newark, Union City, Pleasanton and beyond.